Monday, September 12, 2016

3 thoughts


  1. Social philosopher Robert Nisbett made the point that America was not built by individuals, but by communities. I think this is self-evidently true, but here in modern America our sense of community is degraded and shallow. Maybe. I get the feeling sometimes that I hardly know what the word community means, it is that foreign to my experience. I am an involuntary indiviualist. Not by choice, but by the circumstances of my uprbringing, or the nature of our times.
  2. Signs of Autumn all around. Leaf mold on the maples. Leaves already falling from the older trees. One or two in the neighborhood are already bright red. One more sign: apples!
  3. I am not excited yet about football season. But my Red Sox are somehow in first place! How di that happen?

No comments: