Monday, April 24, 2017

4 things

Monday morning. I'm going to try posting something to this blog every day for six consecutive days. Just a little test. I want to see if it might jumpstart me to keep going beyond that.

* * *

I was looking at pictures of my oldest boy with his lovely soon-to-be bride. I was thinking, "Two lovely people," and then, isn't that a song? So I Googled, looking for the song, and I found a piano transcription, but not a sung version. Am I "misremembering"? Anyway, here's the lovely people song, written for piano by Billy Mayerl.


Can't you just hear Fred Astaire singing the lyrics that go with this melody?

* * *

I'm reading through The Gospel of Luke, slowly. I read a little, and either copy out a verse or two in my journal, or perhaps scribble out a few thoughts. My plan is to keep doing this through all four Gospels, then start over. For the rest of my life. It doesn't mean I won't read from the rest of the Bible, but this practice will be my baseline, reading from the 4 Gospels. I'll get plenty of Paul and the rest of the NT via sermons, since pastors just love to preach from the epistles. I'll make sure I'll read from the OT, and The Revelation of John will always be important to me, but the 4G's, they're fundamental to knowing Jesus.

* * *

Want to read a lovely poem? Read Hatley St. George by Malcolm Guite. It's a beautifully crafted work of art.

* * *

I don't keep up with as many bloggers as I used to. It's down to a few reliables now. One of these is The Blazing Center, where Mark nd Stephen Altrogge have been hitting the bull's eye lately. Mark's recent post, 7 powerful steps to overcoming regret, is one of these, I think the curse of chewing over old regrets again and again is a hazard of the 60-something club, of which I have recently become a member. Mark's post was helpful.

No comments: