Tuesday, June 20, 2017

3 things

I've been thinking of sharing extended quotes from Sinclair Ferguson's book, Devoted to God, but then I noticed that somebody's already done that.

* * *

I'm just reading the red letters these days. It's a Bible study plan that I might have scoffed at years ago, but it has occurred to me lately how seldom we actually seem to read (study, quote, preach) the thought and teaching of Jesus (as opposed to, for example, to the thought and teaching of Paul). So I plan to do that. I want to know Jesus better, to get a grasp of his way of thinking, his way of looking at the world. And I want that way of thinking to sink down into my own mind, taking root. We are shaped by the things that we habitually expose ourselves to, after all.

The idea is to read a passage, write it out, think about it through the day, later write down some thoughts in your journal, read the passage again, looking for themes especially, writing everything down (cuz that's what I always do). As a last step, looking for other passages that strike that same theme. So then you move on to one of those. This, at any rate, is how I think it's going to go. Don't stop until you've meditated on all the red words in the the Gospels.

By the way, most of the Bibles I tend to read do not have red letters. I'm speaking metaphorically here.

* * *

So this seems appropriate:




No comments: