Saturday, July 1, 2017

3 Things Saturday


  • God's redemptive purpose for each of his children is to redeem and transform their whole being: hearts and minds redemption. The thing is, sometimes I lean in, and sometimes I lean away. Sometimes I seek, sometimes I hide. But I believe that the redemptive process, our sanctification, means that with time I do more seeking and less hiding, more leaning in, less leaning away.
  • We American Christians don't make a big deal about peace (I mean here peace as opposed to war). Nobody but those apparently loony pacifists espouses a consistent ethic of peacemaking. We Christians don't preach about it, march in the streets for it, or write countless books on the subject, investigating with nuance and intelligence the struggles and difficulties of peacemaking in this world. But why not? How can Christianity in America have developed a culture which is more likely to bolster the apologetic for war than labor for peace? On this issue, in my opinion, we have a long way to go to get to Christlikeness.
  • A recent string band discovery for me: The Slocan Ramblers. They're really good on a lot of old-time standards, but I also really like their lovely version of Abide with Me:

No comments: