Monday, December 11, 2017

Spiritual blogging . . . again


I’ve been thinking for some time now that I might have a go at rejuvenating this blog by getting back to some consistent posting on spiritual themes. I have been a long time away. It’s been some years now that I’ve been blogging only intermittently and with little purpose. Even the occasional false starts that I’ve made in the past leave me feeling a little reluctant about expecting much from this new start.

But here I am, and I do have a reason, I think, to return to this format. I have been thinking and praying a lot about my own spiritual condition of late. I spend far less time praying, reading the Scriptures, or engaging in spiritual conversation than I once did. A kind of sluggishness (Hebrews 6:12) has set in, or (to reference another Hebrews passage) an inattentiveness (2:1).

No need to go into the reasons for this here, but it is something that I want to counteract here and now. Time to start schooching back upward on this slippery slope.

How? Well it seems to me that the starting place is sincere prayer (something like this, perhaps). Another good idea is simply to get back to reading my Bible. I’ve been trying to do that lately, with an emphasis on the life and ministry of Jesus. And a third helpful thing, for me, is to keep a journal; to write down my thoughts and reactions along the way.

And finally, there is the blogging. This is simply another way to attend. Another way to help myself to think on the things of God.

That’s the idea anyway. So here’s what you can expect at this blog in the coming posts. Brief considerations of passages of Scripture. Prayers. Occasional honest self-assessment, and links to helpful posts from other bloggers (like this one, for example).

I’ll try to post no less than three times per week (but more if I really get rolling). As time goes on I’ll be compiling a blogroll of similarly-inclined Internet scribblers. And if you’re reading this, drop a note in the comment just to let me know.

No comments: