Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Reading Report

The Sermon on the Mount and Human Flourishing by Jonathan Pennington was a great book for me to read at the start of the year. I had made it my aim to focus my reading on the life and teaching of Jesus, snd this book helped me make a good start at that. Coming soon to my bookshelf, Pennington's Reading the Gospel's Wisely.

My current theological reading, though, is J. Richard Middleton's A New Heaven and a New Earth. I've only just started this one, but it's sort of blowing my mind. I'll no soubt be reporting more on this as I go. 

I do my theologial reading in the evening, but my bus book right now (mass transit reading) is High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic, by Glenn Frankel. Very engaging.

And finally, just before bed, I try to read a little more of Martin Chuzzlewit, by Mr. Dickens. One of his less popular novels (according to Wikipedia), but I'm enjoying it immensely. Rather over-the-top satire, it is both amusing and at times stunning in its social observations. As usual with Dickens, some passages just stop you in your tracks. You tend to want to reread these, relishing them over again. Dickens did not often write an ordinary sentence.

No comments: