Saturday, December 10, 2016

Song for a Saturday (1)

I first heard "Someday Soon" from Judy Collins as a kid. I loved it from the first, especially because it told a story that seemed full of real life and real feelings. It's really a piece of beautiful writing, I think, and only later did I find out the song was written by Ian Tyson (of Ian and Sylvia), who also wrote another favorite, "Four Strong Winds."

Now there are many fine versions of this song, and Judy's will always be my favorite, but I like the Suzy Bogguss version, with its steel guitar providing the appropriately country feel.


Favorite line; "So blow you old Blue Norther, blow my love to me . .." I thought for many years that a Blue Norther must have been the name of a train, the train her lover would be coming in on, and she would know he was coming when she heard the Blue Norther's train whistle blow. Hey, it makes all kinds of sense, except a Blue Norther is really a north wind in Texas, known for bringing cold weather. 


No comments: