Monday, March 4, 2019

A (re)Introduction


Hello, and welcome to A Stranger Here.

I haven’t posted anything substantive here since last June. In that time I’ve hemmed and hawed about blogging, but I think I’m coming back to it now with a sense of purpose. So while I’m going to leave most of the old content here, consider this a re-introduction. A new start.

 This is a blog about three things (mostly): books and reading generally, Biblical/Spiritual engagement, and music. Other themes will no doubt crop up from time to time, but that’s the big picture. Why blog about these things at all? Well, take that first theme: reading. The process we call reading is complemented by the process we call writing. In other words, our engagement with the things we’re reading is helped along, and our understanding is increased, when we’re talking about them. This is the basis of the book group, I suppose (though I’ve never been a part of one).

 As for the theme of “Biblical engagement,” there too writing about what I’ve read is bound to be helpful.

So here’s what you’ll be seeing at A Stranger Here.

  •  Posts about books, about my current reading, quotations from authors I admire, etc. Goodreads.com is an asset in this. 
  •  A weekly post engaging a Bible passage or concept. This is intended as a kind of weekly devotional practice. If it inspires anyone else, so much the better. 
  •  A once-a-week collection of links on miscellaneous topics, including politics (consider yourself warned). 
  •  And a twice-weekly (at least) music posting, just for the fun of it. 
 Look, I have no illusions about this. I’m just trying to inculcate in myself a new level of engagement with what I’m reading, and be somewhat disciplined in giving my thoughts coherent expression. If you like what you see here, stop by often, and drop a comment now and then to let me know you’re there!

No comments: