Thursday, June 29, 2023

Random Randomness

 Another misty morning here in the Great American Northeast. This June has been the coolest in many years, and lately the rain has taken a bite out of my gardening and bike riding plans, but my reading life has been enhanced. I'm mainly focusing on 3 books:

Dominon: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World by Tom Holland

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler

Revelation for the Rest of Us by Scot McKnight

We never used to see foxes in my neighborhood, or rarely, but now I see them every morning. Our yard seems to be on some sort of fox thoroughfare. They always look like their on their way somewhere but sometimes stop to glance at the ground under the neighbor's feeder (they are screened by a cluster of irises), trying to catch a small bird unawares. Sometimes they pass through with a squirrel clutched in their jaws.

Been thinking lately about the meaning of "dissent" and of what it is to be a "dissident." John Mark Reynolds has some thoughts: The Power of a Dissenting Society.

I always enjoy Matt B. Redmond's Random Thoughts.

Back to reading books. I tend to read multiple books at once, but they must be books that are distinctly unlike one another. Maybe a novel, a history book, and a book on Biblical theology or something. Three distinct reading tracks, I guess you could say.

I also try to read at least one daunting "classic" each year. Last year it was The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Which direction should I go this year? Alan Jacobs has been reading and thinking deeply about Charles Dickins' Bleak House. His latest rumination is here.

The sun's coming out today, they say. It will be nice to see the brightfaced stranger!



No comments: