Monday, September 11, 2017

Reading Report

Day 7 of my foolhardy attempt to write 20 posts in 20 days.

I'm coming to the end of a couple of books, and also starting a new one. The two I'm almost done with:

  • The War that Killed Achilles, by Caroline Alexander. This is a remarkable book. Not something I was planning to read, I noticed it while browsing the shelves at the library, read the first paragraph (just like my mother taught me to do) and decided to bring it home. I've read the Iliad a couple of times, but it's been quite a few years. I'm far from being an expert, but Caroline Alexander seems a really insightful writer. I'm liking this book much more than I expected to, actually.
  • The Perfect Pass: American Genius and the Reinvention of Football, by S. C. Gwynne. Although I read a fair amount of sports history, I seldom read books about football. The last one was probably, oh, let me see, a biography of Bart Starr, read when I was about 12 years old and an avid Green Bay Packers fan. Anyway, this is another one of those books I happened upon while browsing the shelves at the library (something everyone should do). Entertaining and interesting, I actually learned a few things, though I've been a football fan for about 5 decades now. A fun read.
Then there's the one I just started:
  • And then there's the new one, just begun. I thought I needed a good tense thriller. Back at the library, I happened upon the books of John Lawton. He writes historical thrillers set in the the WWII era. The one I chose to read first is called Second Violin. This is from the Inspector Troy series. I'm maybe 50 pages in and it has absolutely captured me. I need to hurry up and finish those first two so I can devote myself to this one. Can't wait to get back to it!

No comments: