Wednesday, December 11, 2019

A Few Good Habits

It is Day 5 of my practice of writing every day, and here it is evening and I'm just now getting 'round to it. I try to do these short blog-entries in the morning, but today that plan just didn't work out.

I do want to keep writing about the virtues (as I began to do here, here, and here), and also about a reading plan of sorts for the coming year.

As for today, I just wanted to say something about habits. I'm trying to form the habit of writing, for example. It is not a high bar I'm setting. Just write something, anything, here on the blog, every day.

There are other habits, like exercise, that I'm trying to be more intentional about. I'm 63 and I'm beginning to think I ought to quit wasting time. It's getting rather late in the day! I might say that the ultimate waste of a day would be to go without prayer, and I have had plenty of those days. So yes, prayer is a habit I want to work on as well.

Another good habit I want to work on is the reading of Scripture every day. These are things, both the prayer and the Bible reading, which I once pursued much more avidly than I do today. Perhaps Jesus might say to me what he said to the church at Ephesus:"But I have this against you. You have fallen from your first love."

Which brings me to the daily devotional I've begun using for Advent. Today's reading is here. You'll note the three "kneeling prayers" at the bottom: a prayer to the Father at morning, to Jesus at midday, and to the Holy Spirit at bedtime.  They aren't much, perhaps, but they're a start.



No comments: